Friday, July 1, 2011

High-Style, Low-Cost Ideas with Haus Design!

Happy Friday, ya'll! I have another guest stopping by to share some high-style, low-cost decorating ideas with you today!


-----------------

Hi!  I'm Barbara from HausDesign.  I have been living in Munich for the last four years and during that time I have visited many flea markets while traveling around Europe, as well as frequenting many that happen regularly right here in Munich.  I have found the markets to be an excellent source for design pieces, and getting the "look for less".  Check out these examples: 


My most recent find was this old milk crate - compare mine for $14...


<> <> <>
Photo and Styling by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler


...with Pottery Barn's version for $99:


<> <> <>
Pottery Barn


I have loved and admired Kosta Boda's beautiful glass designs for a long time, but not the prices!


<> <> <>
Kosta Boda Atoll Votive - $50


I recently came across this old ash tray at our local flea market for $20 and loved the way it reflects candlelight - no one needs to know it was originally an ash tray. :)


<> <> <>


Photo by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler


Since that picture also includes books, I'll go there next...

I LOVE to buy old books at flea markets anywhere in the world.  The illustrations and binding are so pretty and unique - great for building an interesting vignette.  I bought all three of those for about $15 at another flea market here in Munich a few years ago and have continued to buy them as we travel.  I hope to use them to design a great bookshelf, inspired by this:


<> <> <>
Brooke Gianetti - Velvet and Linen Blog


And one last look for less!  Pottery Barn has these great green vintage bottles right now but I find them really pricey.  They run $99 - $279, depending on the size.







<> <> <>
Pottery Barn


I paid about $15 for the jug below at a flea market.  Mine is quite large so I think it's comparable to the $279 jug from Pottery Barn.  I also find this one extra special because it is an old fermenting jug - the writing on the old label is french and records the ingredients that were added over time.  By the way, there are literally dozens of glass bottles similar to the ones above at our local flea market right now!







<> <> <>
Photo by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler


I hope you enjoyed my flea market "looks for less".  If you're interested, I am available for sourcing from these wonderful flea markets.  You can read more about my flea market finds here, or feel free to just contact me!

Thanks so much, Mary, for having me today!
Related Posts with Thumbnails