Friday, May 20, 2011

High Style, Low Budget Ideas from Green Street


Today we have Fran from the blog Green Street stopping by to share a recent DIY project with you all! Her blog is full of so much wonderfulness, I can't even begin to describe it! Here's a few peaks at her house; 




-----------------

Thank you Mary for inviting me to do a guest post on your blog!  So excited!!

So, I've been slowly updating my 'office/toy storage room/ guest room'.  You know the 1 room that needs to serve 100 different functions.  Anyway, I've been incorporating colors of green, coral, and some yellow and turquoise.  Basically, taking the lead from the infamous Schumacher's 'Chiang Mai' fabric in aquamarine. 


I had an 'A-ha' moment the other day when I decided to incorporate a contrasting color as most of my colors sit on one side of the color wheel.  So, I was browsing my favorite images and came across this good 'ol standby and thought, "That's it" - I'll dye my lampshade.

I've been wanting to do this project for sometime, see here.  Anyway, I had some reservations as I've dyed curtains before, but never a lampshade.  I went out and bought some trusty old "Rit" in navy blue.



Here is a picture of the lampshade before its transformation.


Exciting, huh?  Okay, and here it is after its dye job!


And, again.



I like how it came out.  Although, personally, if I were to do it again, I probably would want it darker.  

{How to dye your lampshade}:

1) Heat up enough water to fill 1/3 of your kitchen sink or plastic (20 gallon) tub (which is what I used).
2) Add dye to water.  I added about about 3/4 quarters of the bottle.  
3) Add lampshade and agitate constantly (which I'm good at ;)).  I just kept rotating it in a circular motion.  I think this is important to ensure even distribution of color.  
4) When you've reached the color you want, take it out and let it dry.  My shade was in there for 40 minutes.  The longer your shade is in the dyed water, the darker it'll become.

And, that's it!!  Hope you enjoyed this mini transformation.  Thanks, Mary for having me!! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!


Related Posts with Thumbnails