Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Do you think it's strange to have a sentimental attachment to a piece of furniture?!

Lets rewind and I'll start from the beginning. . . The year was 1989 and my parents bought a brand spankin new sleeper sofa. It was a grey-blue and had sort of a corduroy feel to it, a rounded back and sat low to the ground. I grew up with this sofa! At the time (late 80's, early 90's) it totally fit in with the 'southwestern' decor my mom had going on in our living room. It transitioned with us when we moved in the mid 90's and eventually it just became an eye sore. In 2002 I moved out of my parents house they let me take the sofa with me. It was still in good condition, sturdy as a rock and being a poor, furniture-less college student I happily accepted the offer and moved the sofa into my first apartment. I had the sofa for a couple of years until it got handed down to the next family member. And then the next, and then the next. Whether it was used in as-is condition, or combined with a slipcover, it was a functional piece of furniture and provided a pull out bed for guests which was always a plus. My younger sister Michele was the last person to get to be the proud owner of this family heirloom  hand-me-down.

Last summer I helped Michele spruce up her townhouse near the beach in Santa Cruz. We painted the walls, put up new curtains and a gallery wall of art, amongst other things. Here's a shot of the sofa I have been ranting about, in Michele's living room, before the new slipcover we purchased had arrived; 


Michele just recently moved in with her boyfriend John and they decided they wanted to buy a new sofa together. The old blue family sofa ended up on Craigslist. A day later two guys came and picked it up, for free. I never had a chance to say goodbye which makes me kind of sad :( It wasn't the prettiest or most comfortable thing in the world, it was over 20 years old and totally outdated, but it had sentimental value. You can laugh at me for saying this, but that sofa will always have a special place in my heart.

What about you, have you ever had a sentimental attachment to a piece of furniture?! Or am I the only crazy one?!
Related Posts with Thumbnails